in our family, macaroni and cheese is the main course. I hate it when macaroni is served as a side dish. ok, obviously I don't hate it because I could never hate anything to do with macaroni and cheese. but as a side, it usually puts the main course to shame in my opinion. you want a side dish? go with broccoli. macaroni and cheese deserves the main stage.
this deliciously cheesy recipe is my mom's famous version and I end up making it quite a bit. the only time this dish is served as a side is for thanksgiving and christmas. otherwise, grab a warm bowl of mac and a glass of red wine - dinner is served.
-1 lb. noodles, I use ziti
-4 T. butter
-3 T. flour
-3 c. milk
-8 oz. of cheddar cheese, block
-salt and pepper
1. in a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. mix in flour, one tablespoon at a time.
2. meanwhile, boil your noodles and slice your cheese into one-inch squares.
3. slowly add in the milk to your butter mixture, stirring to blend constantly. this sauce will become thick and bubbly, take your time adding the milk so as not to end up with a runny sauce.
4. drain your noodles and place them evenly in a 9x13 pan. place the squares of cheese on top of the noodles evenly.
5. drizzle the white sauce over the noodles and cheese to coat thoroughly.
6. bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
PS. you can easily make this ahead and refrigerate until you're ready to bake.