a couple weekends ago, we had stephen's family stay at our house for the weekend and we cooked up a storm! I made cheesy beef enchiladas, guacamole, strawberry rhubarb pie, and this tried and true sausage and egg breakfast casserole. I shared this recipe over a year ago, around easter time last year. back then, I was still using my iPhone to take pictures so the post had some room for improvement.
you guys. I make this casserole all the time. bachelorette party weekends, couples trips, family holidays - any time there is a group together for breakfast, you can bet I'll be making this casserole. it is so easy to make and it's really impressive to pull a hot breakfast out of the oven for the crowd. not to mention, it takes all of 10 minutes to prepare and you have to make it ahead of time which basically forces you to be a better prepared hostess with the mostess. I scooped up some banana bread from fresh market, sliced it up and plated it along with some fresh fruit and breakfast is served!
notice that the final picture of the cooked dish is missing?? well, that is because I slept in and my guests pulled the casserole out of the fridge and put it into the oven for me. by the time I came down to breakfast, I was too wrapped up in serving everyone to remember to take a picture!
which brings me to my next piece of advice. I recommend that you place cooking instructions on the casserole in the fridge. this way, if you do have an early riser in your bunch - he or she can get breakfast cooking without having to guess or ask. how perfect is that!?ingredients:
[august 2016 update] okay friends, here's a final picture for you!
-about 6 pieces of buttered bread
-1 tube of jimmy dean sausage
-2 c. half and half
-1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
-salt and pepper
1. cook sausage on the skillet, breaking apart while cooking.
2. meanwhile, place pieces of buttered bread on the bottom of a 9x13 pan. layer cooked sausage on top of the bread slices.
3. grate cheddar cheese and layer on top of sausage.
4. in a bowl, whisk 6 eggs with half and half, salt and pepper until smooth. pour the egg mixture on top of the cheese layer, ensuring to cover entire surface evenly.
5. refrigerate over night.
6. remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before cooking. bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes until set.