I'm so excited to tell you that I finally finally FINALLY cooked tofu for the first time. #vegetariangoals coming to life over here. so first I should say that I am a fair weathered tofu fan, I love it on this one salad from fresh to order but then had it somewhere else in a taco and hated it. evidently, it's all about how you season it. so I set out to season it right and honey sriracha sounded like I couldn't go wrong.
I love when you decide to make a recipe and discover that you already have most of the ingredients, it's such a nice surprise that really makes you feel like you have your life together. rice vinegar and sesame oil? why, yes I do have those items in the pantry. albeit, they were unopened, but I did already have them. a couple years ago, my mom gave me an amazing electric wok so stephen and I went to the asian market and stocked up on tons of asian goodies like rice vinegar, sesame oil, and much more. you can usually find these items at your local grocery store, so don't fret if you don't already have random asian items in your pantry like I did.
it turns out that cooking tofu is extremely easy, although I hate pan frying because the hot oil shoots out of the pan and gets you on the arms. it's like a mini firing range. anyway, this was totally easy and anyone could make this dish.
in other news, stephen just bought a new grill and had picked up steaks for his debut meal. meanwhile, I whipped up this tofu in the kitchen. we sat down to enjoy two completely separate meals! no complaints on either side. I was happy stephen got to indulge his meaty aspirations on the grill and that I got to try something new that he probably wouldn't love anyway.
with that being said, this sweet and spicy tofu would be bomb in a veggie stir fry. cook up some mini corn, mushrooms, and broccoli with soy sauce and toss with this tofu for probably the greatest meal ever. if you've been wanting to cook tofu or just love spicy foods, definitely give this recipe a go!
-1 garlic clove, finely chopped
-1 block -14oz (396g) medium firm tofu
-2 T. sriracha sauce
-1 T. soy sauce
-1½ T. honey
-1 T. rice vinegar
-corn starch for dusting (about 2 T.)
-1 t. sesame oil
-1 T. sesame seeds
1. drain tofu and wrap in paper towel to remove excess water. repeat 3 to 4 times until the tofu is drier. allow the tofu to rest on paper towels while you complete the next step.
2. whisk sriracha, soy sauce, honey, and rice vinegar in a bowl and set aside.
3. slice tofu into 1 inch cubes. dust tofu with potato starch until all sides are coated.
4. in a large pan over high heat, add oil and garlic and fry for 30 seconds. add tofu and fry until the sides are slightly golden (about 7 minutes).
5. add sauce and stir while coating tofu cubes. cook for 3 minutes.
6. turn the heat off and add sesame oil and sesame seeds. stir once more to evenly coat tofu cubes and serve.
recipe adapted from the pickled plum