stephen's absolute favorite dessert is strawberry rhubarb pie and today is his birthday, which makes it the perfect day to share this delicious pie. growing up, my family usually had cakes for our birthdays so when I made this pie for stephen last year, I think it was the first pie I had ever baked! I topped the pie last year with lots of hearts made of pie crust, but this year I decided to do a more traditional lattice with fluted edges. there's something about a pie fresh from the oven with buttery, toasty crust and oozing berry juices.
this strawberry rhubarb pie recipe was passed down from stephen's grandmother to his mother and then to me. the funny thing is that I can remember my grandmother introducing me to rhubarb for a class project as a little kid. I think we all had to research and cook a specific fruit or vegetable and I was assigned rhubarb. I guess you could say rhubarb runs in the family!
stephen likes this pie served cold, but I love it warm and topped with vanilla ice cream. enjoy!
-two pie crusts, homemade or store-bought
-1.5 c. sliced fresh strawberries
-1 lb. of rhubarb, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces (equates to 3 cups if you buy fresh rhubarb. frozen is fine if you can't find fresh)
-1 1/2 c. sugar
-3 T. quick cooking tapioca
-1/4 t. salt
-1 t. cinnamon
1. in large bowl, combine sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, and salt.
2. add rhubarb and strawberries, mix well to coat fruit. let stand for 20 minutes.
3. meanwhile, line your pie plate with one of the pie crusts. flute the edges, if desired. prepare your lattice strips for the top crust.
4. spoon the fruit mixture into the pie plate, use a slotted spoon to drain some of the juices so your pie doesn't get too runny.
5. assemble the lattice crust on top, using your fingers to pinch together the lattice strips and outer crust.
6. bake for about 35 minutes at 400 degrees. let cool for about 20 minutes, top slices with ice cream and serve.