stuffed peppers have been popular for a while now, and while they are definitely eye catching and beautiful, I have historically not really been a fan of peppers. once, on a korean air flight, I was starving and gave in to some red pepper and cream cheese appetizer and didn’t hate it. recently, on my trip to croatia, I was flooded with amazing vegetarian options at the hotels. croatia was just short of a vegetarian’s dream.
4 large bell peppers (red, green, yellow, orange)
3/4 cup dry quinoa
15 oz. can black beans
1-2 cups corn
2 green onions
2/3 cup salsa
1 1/2 t. cumin
1 t. smoked paprika
1 t. chili powder
optional: monterey jack cheese, avocado, cilantro, drizzle of ranch, more salsa…
1. cook quinoa according to package directions with 1.5 cups water/broth.
2. meanwhile, halve bell peppers and remove stems, seeds and ribs.
3. rinse and drain black beans and corn, and slice green onions.
4. in a large mixing bowl, add cooked quinoa and all other ingredients except bell peppers. stir to combine.
5. preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. place pepper halves in a 9×13 inch glass pan, and generously stuff them with the quinoa filling. lightly press down to compact and fill all the crevices.
7. cover with tin foil and bake for 35-40 minutes. remove foil and add cheese if desired, and bake 10 minutes more. serve with any desired toppings, I recommended avocado and ranch dressing!
recipe adapted from the garden grazer (check out her awesome veggie blog!)